1. Flack, Peter HUNTING THE SPIRAL HORNS—BUSHBUCK—the Little Big Buck. 2014 S. Africa Collectors’ Edition of only 200
signed numbered slipcased copies. 350 pp, profuse color ill. Foreword by Lou Hallamore. The shy, elusive bushbuck is one of
Africa’s most challenging trophies, especially for those who want a good trophy. Peter Flack is Africa’s “most experienced hunter
who is not a professional” and it shows through in thorough research and knowledge imparted in his book. For the bushbuck
hunter, this contains everything you might want to know: from natural history and distribution to big game hunting. Peter even
makes the “how to hunt bushbuck” sections sprightly reading. There are quotes from old classic books and, as an experienced
hunter, Peter was able to elicit really good hunting stories from those going afield today. BUSHBUCK has everything a big game
hunter or book collector could want. Large format—extra postage. $ 175.00
2. Rikhoff, J. HUNTING THE AFRICAN RHINO 2015 CA 475 pp, ill. All edges gilt. Ltd to 1,000 signed, numbered, slipcased
copies. This book, which stands on its own as a great book for anyone wanting to read all about rhino hunting, is also the final book
in the Amwell Press (but published by Safari Press) big five series and is printed to look like the first four books in the Amwell
series. The selections are from a who’s who of rhino hunters. Really good reading. NEW. $ 150.00
3. Anderson, R. WIND DUST AND SNOW: GREAT RAMS OF ASIA 1998 TX 240 pp. Profuse b/w photographic ill. Trade ed.
Bibliography. As the name implies, these are GREAT Asian sheep hunting trophies. Photos of the hunter and their trophy along
with lengthy caption/stories of the sheep. Large format, heavy book. Fine in like dj. Large format—extra postage. $ 100.00
4. Andersson, C.J. LAKE N’GAMI: FOUR YEARS’ WANDERINGS IN THE WILDS OF SOUTHWESTERN AFRICA 1988 SC 546 pp.
Ill. Sporting adventures & notes on devices for destroying wild animals. An almost unequalled account in pen & pencil of hunting
adventures. The popular Briar Patch trade ed. Fine. $ 135.00
a. another, deluxe ltd ed (500 copies) bound in gilt leather, raised spine bands, all edges gilt. Slipcased. As new. $ 175.00
5. Angier, B. THE BEST OF COLONEL TOWNSEND WHELEN 1984 NJ 404 pp Ill. Ltd to 1,000 signed/numbered/slipcased copies.
The best from the many years of big game hunting and writing by the noted hunter & shooter. Fine, NO slipcase. $ 85.00
6. Askins, C. THE AFRICAN HUNT 1958 PA 189 pp. Profuse ill. Indispensable information on an African safari compiled by an
ardent, experienced hunter. A must for anyone who enjoys hunting, or just reading. Nicer than vg in dj but spine slightly sloped.
Value priced. $ 80.00
7. Barnett, D. THE UPPER YUKON: Another look at wilderness hunting. Foreword by JOHN BATTEN. 1983 National Sporting
Fraternity. 120 photos. Part of the popular High Country Heritage Series. Only 1,000 signed, numbered slipcased copies. As new
in like slipcase. $ 150.00
8. Bartlett, Fred SHOOT STRAIGHT AND STAY ALIVE Trophy Room Books limited (only 1,000 copies) signed (true first) edition.
1994 CA 262 pp, ill. Very popular title. From hunting in Kenya to fighting Mau Mau, Fred has done it all. “Fearless Fred” they called
this man. He was a noted Cape buffalo hunter and one of the quickest shots ever with a double rile. Fine in like dj with extra
signature & inscription by author. $ 225.00
9. Batten, J. SKYLINE PURSUITS 1981 NJ 318 pp. Ill. A great combination: John Batten and the National Sporting Fraternity. Only
1,000 numbered SIGNED slipcased copies. Sold out as soon as it was printed. If you collect NSF books or have read Batten’s other
works you know why. Colored frontis by RUNGIUS. Plenty of good Batten photos. Fine in vg+ slipcase. $ 325.00
a. another copy, VG+, in like slipcase. $ 175.00
10. Batten, J. THE FORMIDABLE GAME 1983 NJ 264 pp. Profusely ill. With photos from Batten’s great collection and drawings by
Peter Darro. Forewword by Elgin Gates. Batten’s 3rd book. Africa, N America, India. Signed, ltd, numbered ed. Fine in fine
slipcase. $ 175.00
11. Beard, P. THE END OF THE GAME 1st softcovered ed. 1987 NY 256 PP. Profuse ill. Bibliography. Sections on famous turn of
the century hunters. Readable work on the situation of African game. Much on Isak Dinesen, whose writings originally drew Beard
to Africa. The images and the text are amazing. Near fine. $ 50.00
12. Beebe, H. CANNIBALS AND BIG GAME 2001 CA Signed, numbered, slipcased limited ed of 1000 copies. 239 pp, ill, end
paper maps. True tales of cannibals, exploration and big game hunting in Portuguese West Africa, 1917 - 1921. As new in like orig.
slipcase. $ 125.00
13. Bell, W.D.M. KARAMOJO SAFARI 1949 NY 298 pp. Profuse ill. Map endpapers. 1st Amer ed. There will never be another man
who did and saw the things Bell did. Elephant hunting galore. VG+. $ 225.00
a. another, as above. Fine in near fine dj. $ 375.00
b. another, as above. Corners slightly dumped. VG dj. $ 200.00
14. Blunt, D. ELEPHANT 1985 Lon Neville Spearman 260 pp. Ill. Very popular book on elephant hunting written by one of the
recent experts. The book ranks with all the great elephant hunting books. Always recommended, always enjoyed. Fine in vg+ dj.
a. another, Holland Press 1985. Fine in fine dj. $ 175.00
15. Boddington, C. and Flack, P. AFRICAN HUNTER II. 2004 CA 606 pp, profuse ill in b/w & color. The vastly updated, expanded
and monumental reissue of Jay Mellon’s original African Hunter. LIMITED EDITION, only 500 copies. LIKE NEW in fine new orig.
slipcase. Large format—extra postage. $ 425.00
16. Boddington, C. TRACKS ACROSS AFRICA Another Ten Years 2008 CA LIMITED ED of 1,000 copies, signed, numbered,
slipcased. 325 pp, ill in b/w & color. Ten more years, and many more great hunts and trophies from this popular author. As new in
like slipcase. $ 125.00
17. Boone & Crockett RECORDS OF NORTH AMERICAN BIG GAME 1958 Stated FIRST printing. Fine copy in vg+ dj AND
inscribed by BOTH Grancel and Betty Fitz to their grandson. Great association copy. $ 300.00
18. Boone & Crockett Club MANUAL FOR OFFICIAL MEASURERS 1969 12 pp, orig. stiff printed wraps. Privately printed for the
club by the Carnegie Museum in Pennsylvania. VERY SCARCE, we rarely offer this. As new. Super collector’s item. $ 135.00
19. Boone & Crockett (Trefethen, editor) THE WILD SHEEP IN MODERN NORTH AMERICA 1975 NY. 302 pp. Ill. One of the non
record books issued by the club during this period. LIMITED edition of only 100 copies. Very scarce because of limitation. Fine in
near fine slipcase. $ 200.00
20. Brakefield, T. THE AFRICA BOOK 1984 NJ 210 pp. Ill. Limited to 975 signed/numbered/slipcased copies. Splendid b/w & color
ill by the famous photographer. A fine printing job, nicely bound in full genuine leather. Book as new, but no slipcase. A bargain,
one of the loveliest of all NSF books. Large format—extra postage. $ 150.00
a. another, VG+ (a few very light rub marks on leather binding). Orig. slipcase lightly soiled. $ 200.00
21. Brown, L. AFRICA: A NATURAL HISTORY 1965 NY 300 pp. Profuse color & b/w ill. Large format. Continents We Live On series.
The game and continent of Africa. Readable, informative book by a popular game biologist. Fine in fine jacket. Large format—extra
postage. $ 80.00
22. Brown, M. HUNTER AWAY The Life and Times of Arthur Henry Neumann 1850-1907. 1993 UK 351 pp, ill, index, bibliography.
Ltd to 1,000 numbered copies, signed by the author. Simply put, the BEST biography ever of this intrepid elephant hunter,
considered by many as the man who spurred others to hunt for really big ivory. Brown, himself a hunter and PH, has done an
excellent job. A lovely publication job on extra thick coated stock in a linin cloth binding. Near fine in like dust jacket. Large
format—extra postage. $ 225.00
23. Bulpin, T.V. THE IVORY TRAIL 1964 FIRST ed. S AFRICA 235 pp. Ill. End paper maps. Another popular Bulpin title on African
hunting, this, as the title indicates, along the ivory trail. VG+ in like jacket AND a nice presentation copy from the author to two good
friends. $ 175.00
24. Cameron, K. INTO AFRICA: The Story of the East African Safari 1990 London 229 pp. Ill. Traces the “safari” from slave-andivory
trading to early hunting to the safari as it is known today. Interesting overview. Great reading. Fine in like dj. $ 90.00
25. Campbell, D. A COMPLETE GUIDE TO THE SHEEP AND IBEX OF IRAN 2011 Privately published by the author. Limited (but
unspecified number of copies), signed & numbered copies. The best RECENT book on hunting in Iran. Large format, soft covers,
76 pp + 4 pp ads, hundreds of color ill., maps. Campbell is known not only as a sheep hunter but as the man behind GRAND SLAM/
OVIS. He visited Iran in 2003 and has been studying the country, its sheep and ibex since. Fine. $ 25.00
26. Carruthers, J et. al., Editors THE JAMESON RAID A Centennial Retrospective. 1996 S Africa Part of the Brenthurst Press 3rd
series. 264 pp, 184 ill, extra large format. Ltd to 850 copies. Historical look at the raid in light of new information. Fascinating (as
are all Brenthurst books). AS NEW. Special postage. $ 150.00
27. Chadwick, W. MANKILLERS AND MARAUDERS 1929 London 223 pp. Ill. Some big game encounters of an African Hunter. By
the same author of Giants of the Forest and several other popular big game hunting titles. Hunting throughout a “Rhodesian rainy
season” when the author had a lot of time to spend tracking and in camp. VERY SCARCE, almost rare Chadwick item. VG+ to near
fine. $ 1,200.00
28. Chadwick, W. LIFE STORIES OF BIG GAME 1930 London 218 pp. Ill. The author of Giants of the Forest and Mankillers and
Marauders writes of the buffalo, lion, elephant, rhino, leopard, crocodile etc. All his books are good reading and this is perhaps his
scarcest title. VG+ with some interesting pencil safari cost calculation on rear endpaper. $ 350.00
29. Chamberlain, G. AFRICAN HUNTING AMONG THE THONGAS 1923 NY 286 pp. Ill. End paper maps. Big game hunting in
Portuguese East Africa. One of the few books on this area. Excellent reading. VG+ to near fine in orig. green cloth with photo inset
front cover. $ 275.00
30. Chanler, W. THROUGH JUNGLE AND DESERT 1896 NY 1st 535 pp. Profuse ill. Numerous maps incl. two folding maps inside
rear cover. Gilt pict. cover: Hippo. Top edges gilt. Chanler was an ardent hunter, a friend of Theodore Roosevelt and discoverer of
the Chanler reedbuck. He hunted extensively throughout eastern Africa following in the footsteps of Von Höhnel. Good reading. An
important book to include in any collection of African hunting. Nice bright, tight copy (unusual for this thick book) in orig. gilt cloth
with firm hinges. Recased in orig. cloth. Clean ex lib., unobtrusive stamp on title page, shiny spot on spine where label was
removed. LACKS the maps. Value priced. $ 850.00
a. another copy, also recased, INCLUDES the maps on which one has a small piece missing. Also value priced. $ 1,000.00
31. Christy, C. BIG GAME AND PYGMIES 1924 London 325 pp. 120 ill. Central African forests for elephant, rhino, buffalo, okapi.
Good section on BONGO hunting. Near fine in orig. gilt pictorial cloth. Becoming scarce, esp. in this condition. $ 550.00
a. another, VG+. $ 335.00
32. Clark, J. GOOD HUNTING Fifty Years of collecting and preparing habitat groups for the American Museum. 1966 OK 242 pp,
ill. Africa, Asia, Rocky Mountains with the famous hunting taxidermist. Clark spent more time collecting animals for museums than
another taxidermist. Former owner’s blindstamp. Fine in vg+ dj. $ 95.00
33. Clark, J. TRAILS OF THE HUNTED 1928 MA FIRST ed 309 pp. Ill. Africa, Asia, North America after big game for the American
Museum. Sheep, the African big five and bears. Super reading. Inscribed by the author to author Paul Curtis. Near fine.$ 135.00
a. another, Near fine. Lengthy inscription to noted hunter Russell B Aitken. $ 175.00
34. Coheleach, G. THE AFRICAN LION AS MANEATER 2004 NY Deluxe signed, numbered limited edition, Only 650 copies. 176
pp. Profuse color ill. Coheleach proves himself to be as great a writer as he is an artist. This limited ed was a quick sellout and is
now scarce. As new. $ 125.00
35. Cooch Behar THIRTY SEVEN YEARS OF BIG GAME SHOOTING in Cooch Behar, the Duars and Assam. A rough diary by the
Maharajah of Cooch Behar. 1993 AZ reprint of 1908 London ROWLAND WARD and Bombay ed. 461 pp. Ill. Large colored fold out
map. Perhaps the best known of the turn of the last century books on hunting tigers in India. As new. $ 85.00
36. Curtis, C&R. HUNTING IN AFRICA EAST AND WEST 1925 NY 1st ed. 280 pp. Ill. Kenya for lion. Angola for giant sable
antelope. With Phil Percival as his guide, Curtis hunted throughout East Africa. He was also one of the first people to hunt the giant
sable in Angola. Very scarce, sought after and good reading title. VG+ to near fine in vg dj which is scarce. $ 475.00
37. Demidoff, E. AFTER WILD SHEEP IN THE ALTAI AND MONGOLIA Asian Series ltd ed reprint of 1900 London Rowland Ward
first ed. Only 500 copies. 324 pp. ill. Demidoff set out to become one of the foremost Asian sheep hunters and after reading this
book you will agree that he accomplished his goal. Bound in full genuine leather, top edge gilt. Slipcased. As new in orig. slipcase.
a. another, Trophy Room Books/Rowland Ward ltd ed (250 copies) reprint. Slipcased. Fine in vg+ slipcase. $ 175.00
b. another, Trophy Room Books/Rowland Ward deluxe ltd ed reprint (25 copies) bound in quarter leather, gilt stamped, raised
spine bands. Slipcased. As new! $ 300.00
38. Digby, B. THE MAMMOTH AND MAMMOTH HUNTING IN NORTH EAST SIBERIA 1926 NY 224 pp, ill, fold out map. Forerunners
of the elephant and rhino are believed to have originated in Siberia. Digby returned to this area to examine some known
specimens. Shows progression to recent times and chapters on elephant tusks. Scarce, vg+ copy from the library of WILLIAM
MORDEN with his bookplate inside front cover. $ 250.00
39. Drayson, A. W. AMONG THE ZULUS The adventures of Hans Sterk South African Hunter and Pioneer. nd ca 1892 6th printing
340 pp. Scarce early hunting narrative. Original deco cloth covers. Scarce but really poor, ex lib, reading condition only (i.e. take
on plane, read and leave). $ 30.00
40. Dugmore, A. THE VAST SUDAN 1924 London First ed. 312 pp. Ill. Fold out map. 300 pages of Sudan hunting. Much on
elephant. Appendix on distribution, appearance & habits of Sudan game animals. Dugmore was a photographer so the illustrations
in this work are above average. Beautiful, very near fine copy. $ 450.00
41. East African Professional Hunters’ Association HANDBOOK OF INFORMATION FOR INTENDING VISITORS INTERESTED IN
SHOOTING, PHOTOGRAPHY OR ANGLING. 1937 Nairobi Second handbook issued by the assn (which was formed only a year
or so before). 34 pp, ill. List of members is a whose who of Golden Era Hunters. Pre war Kenya material is indeed scarce. The
former owner has put a D (deceased) after the names of those who have passed on. Otherwise this soft covered handbook is in
amazingly near FINE! Condition and it is VERY RARE indeed. $ 375.00
42. Earl, L. CROCODILE FEVER A true story of adventure. 1953 NY 1st ed 293 pp. Ill. Along the Zambesi for monster crocodile.
Great reading. Story of a man who can stay longer in the wilds hunting crocs than he can in civilization. Great reading. Dine in orig.
deco cloth with vg+ dj. $ 80.00
43. Everett, F, HEAT, THIRST, AND IVORY Elephant and other hunting adventures in Botswana, Zimbabwe, and Angola 2002 CA
285 pp. Ill. Large format. Ltd to 1,000 signed numbered slipcased copies. Fred Everett’s adventures are known to most elephant
hunters. This, his first book, was an immediate sellout and has been sought after (by elephant hunters and book collectors) ever
since. Really good reading. As new in like slipcase. $ 375.00
44. Fawcett, R. SOFTIES ON SAFARI Six friends see the big five on a 21-day hunt in Tanganyika, British East Africa. Original
spiral bound covers. Privately printed for the proprietor of the large publishing firm. 50 pp, ill. Photo inset front cover. Fine. $ 150.00
45. Fiorenza, P. ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BIG GAME ANIMALS IN AFRICA 1983 Paris 270 pp over 50 game animals described. all ill.
in fine COLOR. Large format, Printed on fine, thick, heavy paper. Fine in vg+ dj. Large format—extra postage. $ 125.00
a. another, near fine in vg dj. $ 100.00
46. Foa, E. AFTER BIG GAME IN CENTRAL AFRICA Briar Patch trade ed. 278 pp. 48 ill. Map. Appendix on Central African game
animals. Sportsman’s journey from 1894 to 1897 when crossing the dark continent from the mouth of the Zambesi to the Belgian
Congo. Much on elephants by a man whose ruling passion was hunting. Foa collected almost all the African trophies for the Paris
Museum. Near fine. $ 100.00
a. another, Briar Patch deluxe reprint. 500 numbered copies, bound in genuine leather, slipcased. Fine in like slipcase. $ 150.00
b. another, Safari Press reprint, ltd to 1,000 numbered copies. Slipcased. Fine in like slipcase. $ 100.00
c. FIRST EDITION 1899 London. A nice bright tight copy (unusual for this thick book). Very slight bumped corners. Top edge gilt.
Looks like has never been read. $ 1,000.00
47. Foran, W.R. ELEPHANT HUNTERS OF THE LADO 1981 NJ 6th book in the African Hunting Heritage Series from Amwell
Press. Ltd to 1,000 numbered copies. Signed, slipcased. 312 pp. Ill. Exceptional book on elephant hunting. An immediate sellout.
In demand almost since it came out. Fine in like slipcase. $ 400.00
NOTE: Our limited ed., LEGENDS OF THE FIELD by Foran is an equally great reading book. See new book section.
a. another, fine in near fine slipcase. $350.00
b. another, fine, inscription on slipcase. $ 250.00
Note: our limited ed LEGENDS OF THE FIELD by Foran is an equally great reading book. See new book section.
48. Garza, L. LEGEND OF THE MUY GRANDE History of the world’s largest (whitetail) deer contest and its founder. 1983 TX 160
pp, ill. Pictorial end papers. This contest draws over 4,000 entrants annually and produces the state’s largest deer. VG+. $ 65.00
49. Gasque, J. HUNTING AND FISHING IN THE GREAT SMOKIES 1948 Knopf (Borzoi Book). Std 1st ed. 210 pp, ill. Hunting &
fishing in N Carolina, Tennessee. Fine save for one lightly bumped corner. $ 55.00
50. Gerard, J. LION HUNTING AND SPORTING LIFE IN ALGERIA nd ca 1880s London 354 pp, ill by Dore. An immensely popular
book published in the mid 1800s, originally for young adults, but it was so popular with older adults that many reprints were done.
To date it is still the best on the subject. Adventures & exploits of famous hunters in Africa, India and America. Lion, panther, hyena,
boar, stag, antelope, gazelle. Rules for hunting the lion & a chapter on falconry. VG in orig. gilt and deco cloth. $ 125.00
51. Gordon, Cotton BWANA COTTON Signed limited edition of 1,000 copies. One of the most popular professional hunters of the
1980s and 1990s. His exploits in Zambia and Tanzania are legend. He has more cats in the record books than any other PH. This
sellout has been in demand for a long time. Signed by the author, with an extra inscription signed as well. Fine in like jacket.
52. Hanlin, D. AROUND THE WORLD AND THEN SOME 2010 CA 198 pp. Color ill. Large format. Limited ed of only 250 copies.
The Weatherby Award winner goes to the Dark Continent, Asia and North America and even has a special section on Jaguarology.
As new in like slipcase. $ 200.00
53. Haughton, H. SPORT AND FOLKLORE IN THE HIMALAYA Asian series deluxe ltd ed (500 copies) of 1913 London 1st ed. 332
pp. Ill. Sheep, ibex, markhor, & bear. Superior work on Asian game. Bound in full genuine gilt leather, all edges gilt, slipcased. As
new. Beautiful to look at, great to read. Should be read by every serious collector or hunter. $ 200.00
54. Hemingway, E. THE FIRST FORTY NINE STORIES Franklin Library deluxe full leather reprint. 476 pp. Incl. The Snows of
Kilimanjaro and The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber. Lovely edition. All edges gilt. As new. $ 135.00
55. Henley, T. ROUND THE CAMPFIRE 1989 NJ 25th in the NSF African Hunting Heritage Collection. Ltd to 1,000 signed/
numbered/slipcased copies. Henley and Harry Selby (Ruark’s guide) are two of the longest practicing African professional
hunters. Recounts the best of Henley’s experiences hunting African big game throughout his career. Fine in fine slipcase.$ 200.00
56. Henriques, R. DEATH BY MOONLIGHT nd ca 1938 NY 352 pp. Ill. Author and his partner together with famed professional
hunter bagged 14 LIONS and 19 LEOPARDS on this incredible safari in the Darfur region of western Sudan. Super reading. Fine
(but small light spot on rear board but looks like a cloth mfg. flaw and not a stain) in fine dj. Scarce, not many books on this area.
A really sharp copy. $ 350.00
57. Herne, B. TANZANIA SAFARIS 1981 NJ 259 pp. Ill. 7th in the National Sporting Fraternity African hunting heritage series. One
of their best books. Herne is an exceptionally popular author. Ltd to 1,000 signed, numbered copies in slipcase. The book sold out
almost immediately on publication. Fine but NO slipcase. A must for anyone interested in hunting in Tanzania. $ 275.00
58. Hibben, F. UNDER THE AFRICAN SUN 1999 CA 305 pp, ill. Signed, numbered limited ed of 1,000 copies. 27th book in
Classics in African Hunting Series. 18 stories from Hibben’s first book on African hunting plus 12 new ones for this edition. Fine in
like slipcase. $ 175.00
59. Hill, H. HUNTING THE HARD WAY 1987 3rd prtg Denny Hill. AL 318 pp. Ill. Not since Saxton Pope has a bowhunting book
been so popular. Super for the archer/hunter. This is the Howard Hill family reprint of the large format original. As new in like dj.
60. Hodson, A. WHERE LION REIGN 1928 287 pp. Ill. Lions and lion hunting in ETHIOPIA. Excellent descriptions of the hunt and
the hunting country. A book that suddenly became scarce as more people started to hunt in Ethiopia and one of the best books on
hunting the African lion. VG+ to near fine in orig. red gilt cloth. Scarce work, esp. in nice condition. $ 1,200.00
61. Holden, W. THE PAST AND FUTURE OF THE KAFFIR RACES 1963 S Africa. Ltd ed (#587 of 750) reprint of the fascinating
book about the people of the eastern frontier of the Cape Colony. 516 pp, ill, index. Near fine but label removed from front
endpaper, thus overall vg+. $ 150.00
62. Holman, J. SHEEP AND BEAR TRAILS A Hunter’s Wanderings in Alaska and British Columbia. 1933 NY 211 pp 43 ill. Dall
sheep/grizzly bear in the rugged Alaskan uplands. One of only a few books to bear the B&C stamp of approval on the title page.
A great book. VG+ (front hinge little weak), in vg dust jacket AND warmly inscribed by Holman to someone who came on a few of
the hunts. $ 550.00
63. Holmes, W.D. SAFARI RSVP 1961 London 1st UK ed. 179 pp. Ill. Join a professional hunter as he tracks East African big game.
Popular tile. VG, better than a reading copy. Corners lightly bumped, vg dj, raised blindstamp on front free endpaper. Value priced.
64. Hook, B. BORREGO The Fall and Rise of Desert Bighorn Sheep in Arizona nd ca 1985 Az. 196 pp. Ill. Published in a limited
ed. By the Ariz. Desert Sheep Society. A low #37 of 1,000 copies. Signed by author and collaborator. The history of desert bighorn
sheep and sheep hunting in the areas where the big ones usually come from. As new in like orig. gilt stamped slipcase.$ 195.00
65. Housholder, B. THE GRAND SLAM OF NORTH AMERICAN WILD SHEEP 1974 AZ 1st ed, 2nd prtg. 220 pp. Ill. Ten grand
slammers tell their stories of grand slam hunts. 41 sheep hunting stories. The last is a story of the world’s other sheep-the Altai
Argali by Chris Klineburger, one of the few men to have taken all the world’s sheep species. Fine. $ 150.00
66. Jamsheed, R. BIG GAME ANIMALS OF IRAN (PERSIA) 1976 Privately printed. Profuse col. Ill. Ibex, urial, armenian and red
sheep. Special sections on each sheep species with notes on other game. Just about the only recent work on these animals. It
went out of print almost as soon as it came out. Near fine, in like dj. $ 275.00
a. another, near fine in vg+ dj. $ 200.00
67. Jordan, J.A. ELEPHANTS AND IVORY 1956 NY 250 pp. Ill. The life and adventures of John Alfred Jordan, at one time the
world’s most notorious ivory poacher and later one of the world’s best professional elephant hunters. Near fine in like dj.$ 110.00
a. another, vg+, no jacket. $ 70.00
68. Kaplan, R. SAFARI DIARY 1953 Privately printed for the author. 57 pp. ill. 8½ x 11 inch. Orig. printed wraps. Kenya, Tanzania
and Uganda. Elephant, lion, rhinoceros and more. Seven hunting camps. Long 30-day safari with noted PH Eric Rundgren. Author
relates lots of stories about and from Rundgren not told elsewhere. Scarce. Near fine. $ 275.00
a. another, vg to vg+. $ 135.00
69. Kennedy, B. SAFARI KOA CHUI 1959 IA 43 pp. Ill. End paper maps. Imit. leopard patterned cloth covers. Privately printed. Long
East African safari with noted professional hunter John Kingsley-Heath. Title in Swahili means Leopard. VG (actually near fine but
with crease on left side of gilt front title label) in leopard patterned cloth. $ 95.00
a. another, boards lightly bowed, value priced. $ 70.00
70. Kinloch, A. LARGE GAME SHOOTING IN THIBET, THE HIMALAYAS, AND NORTHERN AND CENTRAL INDIA Asian Series
deluxe ltd ed (500 copies) reprint of 1892 Calcutta orig. 291 pp, ill, fold out map. Kinloch’s 4th and final book expanded to include
virtually all the game of Asia. Tremendous amount on sheep & other mountain game. All of his books are rare but this 1892 ed is
considered the best (that is why the Asian Series selected it to reprint). Bound in genuine gilt stamped leather, all edges gilt,
marbled end papers, slipcased. As new in like slipcase. $ 250.00
71. Klineburger, B. BIG GAME HUNTING AROUND THE WORLD 1969 NY 376 pp. Color & b/w ill. Adventures on 3 continents. A
book to read and reread. Near fine, vg+ dj. Inscribed by the author. $ 90.00
72. Koenig, O. PORI TUPU 1954 NY 236 pp. Ill. 1st Amer. ed. For 25 years Koenig was the only professional hunter in Tanzania
and was considered by many as walking life insurance. Good reading. VG+ in vg+ dj. $ 125.00
a. another copy, 1954 London, true 1st ed. No dj. $ 60.00
73. Lake, A. KILLERS IN AFRICA 1953 NY 290 pp. Ill. The truth about animals lying in wait and hunters lying in print. Read this
before you write your own book. Near fine in fair dj. $ 65.00
a. another, nr fine, no dj. $ 35.00
74. Lane, M. LIFE WITH IONIDES 1964 Readers Union ed. London 180 pp. Ill. Biography of the man who made a career out of
being fascinated with and fearless of the snakes of Africa. Great reading. Everyone loves this book. Near fine in like dj. $ 47.50
75. Leahy, G. SHIKAR FOR SHER KHAN nd ca 1950s Privately printed for the author. 44 pp 4 orig. color ill tipped in by hand. Leahy
was a friend of Hemingway’s and wrote the book at Ernest’s suggestion. A Chicago salesman hunts an elusive Bengal tiger. Orig.
binding. Metallic front cover of handpainted tiger and handpainted title. VG+ (bottom part of text block slightly wavy from having
orig. photos hand tipped in). Warmly inscribed by the author on half title page AND with signed letter from author to recipient.
a. another, VG+. $ 300.00
76. Lee, R. CHINA SAFARI 1986 NJ National Sporting Fraternity. Ltd to 1,000 signed, numbered slipcased copies. Bob Lee’s
memorable hunt BEFORE the country actually or actively opened to sheep hunting. A super picture of the hardships of hunting
sheep in China. Great photos, good captions, lively text. Fine in bowed slipcase (for some reason cases on this title were bowed).
Low #9 copy. $ 175.00
a. another, as above but higher numbered copy. $ 125.00
77. Lyell, D. MEMORIES OF AN AFRICAN HUNTER 1990 SC Briar Patch Press Deluxe LIMITED ED reprint, with a new intro by
Jim Casada. 268 pp. Scarce reprint of one of Lyell’s most popular books. Contains his best memories—and these hunts are
indeed, memorable. Only 500 copies bound in genuine leather, gilt stamped, all edges gilt and slipcased. As new in like slipcase.
78. Manning, I. WITH A GUN IN GOOD COUNTRY 1995 CA 295 pp, 125 ill. Limited to 1,000 signed, numbered copies. Through
a dazzling series of stories the magic of Africa comes alive. Manning was a game cropping ranger, wildlife biologist and long time
professional hunter. He hunted throughout Zambia (in fact this is one the best fairly current titles on Zambia), Zimbabwe, Congo,
Botswana, & S Africa. After reading these hunting stories you will know why everyone who hunts Africa once wants to return again.
Fine in like dj. INSCRIBED BY THE AUTHOR. $ 125.00
79. Marsh, B. BARON IN AFRICA The Adventures of Werner vol Alvensleben. 1997 CA 289 pp. Ill. Signed ltd ed of 1,000 copies
(slipcased). A legend in his own time, Werner guided many notables during his long career including Jack O’Connor, who made
him famous. Fine in like slipcase. $ 175.00
80. Maugham, R AFRICA AS I HAVE KNOWN IT 1929 London 373 pp. Ill. Nyasaland, E Africa, Liberia and Senegal by the author
of Wild Game in Zambesia, Portuguese East Africa, etc. Text map. Author was one of the first men to venture into the then peaceful
protectorate of Nyasaland and to learn about the area called British Central Africa. Interesting and more exploration than hunting.
Nice vg (small crease in upper front board) in orig cloth AND in the very scarce dust jacket. $ 400.00
81. Maydon, H.C. BIG GAME SHOOTING IN AFRICA 1932 London 445 pp. Ill. End paper map. 1st ed. For those who read the intro.
to Mellon’s AFRICAN HUNTER you know this is the book that inspired Mellon to hunt in Africa. A book to own and read. Near fine.
a. another, 1952, fine in vg dj. $ 200.00
b. another, 1952, near fine, no dj. $ 150.00
82. McGinn, O.T. AMERICAN BIG GAME AND HOW TO HUNT THEM 1931 MI 59 pp, ill. Moose, elk, deer & caribou + chapt. On big
game rifles, guides. VERY scarce. Privately printed for the author. Near fine in orig. suede cloth with stamped moose on cover.
83. Meikle, R. AFTER BIG GAME 1915 London. 327 pp. Ill. Fold out map. Uganda. Along the Nile sources. Tanzania, Tsavo, Guaso
Nyiro & Laikipia Plains. VERY SCARCE title. Very good reading. VG: end papers separated, hinges holding, corners bumped. A
better than it sounds reading copy of a scarce title. $ 200.00
84. Meinertzhagen, R. KENYA DIARY 1902-1906. 1957 London 347 pp Ill. Scarce first edition. Life of the famous Colonel who
faced dangerous natives and game and was equally at home with Lord Delamere or the famous slave trader Tippoo Tib. A great
book. VG in vg only dj. $ 675.00
a. another, VG+ in the RARE, also VG+ jacket. $ 1,350.00
85. Mellon, J. AFRICAN HUNTER 1986 CA Reprint 522 pp. Profuse ill. Large format. THE definitive reference work for someone
planning to hunt Africa. An interesting association copy: Fine in near fine dj, Signed in 1986 by 32 professional hunters at the
Dallas Safari Club convention. Includes Don Lindsay (IPHA Pres), Pasanisi, Vermaak, Loubser, Hoffman, Gordon, Klineburger,
Grobler, Hayes, Hallamore, Lillican, Seia, Price, Penfold. Fine in like dj. Large format—extra postage. $ 450.00
a. another, 1975 NY TRUE FIRST ED. Near fine to fine in vg+ dj. $ 275.00
86. Montgomery, R. HIGH COUNTRY Reprint of 1938 NY DERRYDALE PRESS (orig ed ltd to only 950 copies). 248 pp. Ill. Grizzly,
elk, cougar, deer. Popular, well photographed Derrydale. Fine. $ 70.00
87. Nelson, T. A GUIDE TO SHEEP HUNTING IN COLORADO 1984 CO Several hundred pp, ill. Sections incl: hunting strategies,
sheep units with maps and descriptions. 6x9 3-ring binder. Almost all the section maps are fold out. Also inserted is a larger folding
map of Colorado areas and a large fold out of seasons and other info by area. Unusual item. Fine. $ 50.00
88. Neumann, A. ELEPHANT HUNTING IN EAST EQUATORIAL AFRICA Briar Patch African Collection trade ed. Reprint. Near
fine. $ 125.00
a. another, Briar Patch ltd ed (500 copies) bound in full gilt leather, raised spine bands, all edges gilt, slipcased. Fine. $ 200.00
89. Newberry, L. THE BIG FIVE Hunting Adventures in Today’s Africa. 2001 CA 214 pp, ill, bibliography. This popular author went
on five safaris to complete his big five. This is the story of each of those hunts. Limited to 1,000 signed, numbered, slipcased
copies. As new. $ 175.00
90. Niedieck, P. CRUISES IN THE BERING SEA 1995 SC Asian series reprint of 1909 London Rowland Ward ed. 248 pp. Ill.
Folding map in rear. Hunting for Kamchatkan bighorn, bear, walrus & moose. One of the very few books on Kamchatkan bighorn
sheep. Bound in full gilt leather, raised spine bands, top edge gilt. Slipcased. Fine in like slipcase. $ 165.00
91. O’Connor, J. THE RIFLE OMNIBUS 1976 NJ One of the earliest books produced by the National Sporting Fraternity. Contains
THE HUNTING RIFLE by Jack O’Connor, THE MODERN RIFLE by Jim Carmichael, and THE ACCURATE RIFLE by Warren Page.
ONLY 750 numbered copies. SIGNED BY ALL THREE AUTHORS + Jim Rikhoff. One of the scarcest and most desirable NSF
publications. This copy is as new in near fine slipcase. A great find for the collector. $ 600.00
a. another, fine in near fine slipcase. $ 475.00
92. O’Connor, J. JACK O’CONNOR’S BIG GAME HUNTS 1963 NY 415 pp. Ill. Africa, Asia, N. America. Asian sections rank with
Elgin Gates’ book in readability. VG+ in like dj. $ 75.00
93. O’Connor Jack Superb ORIGINAL LETTER Jan 8, 1970 on Outdoor Life Stationery. 1 1/2 single spaced typed pages. To John
Jobson. Talking about Outdoor Life & Sports Afield and paying writers. Also that he is writing to Jim Rikhoff suggesting that he
publish a book on rifles years later Rikhoff’s Amwell Press did issue both a book by John Jobson and The Rifle Omnibus which
included one of O’Connor’s books). Will send copies of two of his books and so on. Crammed with information. Signed “Jack” by
O’Connor’s secretary. Accompanying this is a copy of a letter from O’Connor to Jobson recommending Jobson as a potential
author. A SUPERB set of O’Connor/Amwell ephemera to include with either of the Amwell titles. This is letter #164 from the
O’Connor catalogue of letters. $ 375.00
94. Ormond, C. BEAR: BLACK BROWN POLAR GRIZZLY 1961 PA 291 pp. Basic and enjoyable reading about hunting the four
North American bears. VG+ in like dj w note on front free endpaper re largest black bear shot in Minnesota. $ 60.00
95. Pease, A. THE BOOK OF THE LION Capstick Collection reprint 291 pp. Ill. A book which met immediate popularity & demand.
Lions, lion hunting, and lion country. Next to Selous’ African Nature Notes, this is one of the best books on lions & one of only 12
titles recommended by DD Lyell in his own books. Fine in like dj. $ 55.00
96. Pigot, R. TWENTY FIVE YEARS BIG GAME HUNTING 1928 London 307 pp. 64 ill. In the Altai Mountains for sheep and ibex
of Mongolia. Also mountain & jungle shooting in India. To the Pamirs and Chinese Turkestan. Good reading. VG+ to near fine in orig.
red cloth (little wear one corner). $ 650.00
97. Rand, J. RUN FOR THE TREES 1966 London TRUE FIRST Ed. 398. If you like the hunting, adventure, and big game in early
Wilbur Smith then you need to discover James Rand. This is a novel of the African bush after the first world war when the hero
travels to Africa to become a big game hunter and then a crocodile hunter. Better than great reading. Fine in fine dj AND inscribed
by the author. The Rand books are rare. $ 300.00
98. Rand, J. THE GREAT SKY AND THE SILENCE 1979 London True 1st ed. By the author of Run for the Trees and Viva Ramirez,
another great novel whose central characters are big game hunters in Africa. Every bit as good, albeit less well known, as Wilbur
Smith, James Rand is developing a following. His works have become collectible, scarce and, more importantly, recognized as
great to read. Fine in like jacket. $ 250.00
99. Rand, J. VIVA RAMIREZ! 1970 London 374 pp. Great fiction. Story of two professional hunters of contrasting background: one
a great African trained white hunter and the other, former greatest jaguar hunter known transplanted from the Central American
jungles. Many readers think Rand ranks with OR EXCEEDS Wilbur Smith! Very scarce. Fine in like jacket. $ 250.00
100. Rikhoff, Jim HUNTING AFRICA: KENYA 1992 NJ National Sporting Fraternity 636 pp. Ill. by Guy Coheleach. From the
pioneers through the wars and until it closed in 1977, Kenya was the greatest place for the great big game of Africa, especially
elephants, buffalo and lion. An anthology of some of the best writing on the subject. Fine in fine slipcase. $ 225.00
a. another, fine in near fine slipcase. $ 185.00
101. Rikhoff, J. HUNTING THE AFRICAN ELEPHANT 1985 NJ 688 pp. Ill. Limited to 1,000 numbered, signed copies. An
anthology compiled from most of the best African hunting books ever written—both old and recent. This sold out one year before
it was published. The selections are excellent, the book will provide many hours of reading enjoyment. Fine, NO slipcase.
a. another, fine in fine slipcase. $ 600.00
102. Rikhoff, J. HUNTING THE BIG CATS 1981 NJ National Sporting Fraternity. Limited to 1,000 signed, numbered slipcased two
volume sets. 438 & 470 pp. Profuse ill. Selections from the greatest books ever written on hunting the big cats of the world. A very
popular set. Near fine in vg slipcase. Almost all slipcases for this show some wear. Two vol set: Special postage. $ 350.00
a. another set, never read but some of the paper lining the slipcase has come off and caused spotting on the book bindings. Value
priced. $ 200.00
103. Rikhoff, J. HUNTING THE AFRICAN LION 1989 NJ 558 pp. Limited to 1,000 signed, numbered, slipcased copies. 26th book
in the African hunting heritage series and third in the big five series. Excerpts from the best writings of the past 150 years on the
African lion and its hunters throughout the years. This book sold out as quickly as Buffalo and Elephant. Fine in like slipcase.
a. another, fine in vg+ slipcase. Good value. $ 350.00
104. Rikhoff, J. HUNTING THE AFRICAN LEOPARD Fourth in the exceedingly (and deservedly) popular big five series from the
National Sporting Fraternity. Some of the best reading on leopard hunting around. Limited to 1,000 signed, numbered, slipcased
copies. As new in near fine slipcase. $ 400.00
a. another, very slight indentation in spine, otherwise as new in like slipcase. $ 275.00
105. Robertson, Kevin AFRICA’S MOST DANGEROUS THE SOUTHERN BUFFALO 2007 CA Signed, numbered, limited slipcased
edition. Large format. Over 200 pp, profuse COLOR ill. This limited edition sold out pre-publication. Natural history, hunting,
shooting, trophy selection. It’s all here. As new. $ 125.00
106. Robertson, K. NYATI HUNTING THE AFRICAN BUFFALO 1998 Zimbabwe 108 pp, ill. The 1st ed, 2nd prtg. One of the best
books on hunting tis game animal-and very scarce indeed in early edition. Fine in vg+ dj. $ 150.00
107. Romero, P.B. MEXICO AND AFRICA FROM THE SIGHT OF MY RIFLE nd ca 1960 Privately printed for the author for
distribution to his friends in a limited edition of only 1,000 copies. 322 pp. Profuse ill. in b/w & color. Photo end papers. Aside from
excellent chapters on African big game, Romero had exciting adventures with jaguars. Also an interesting chapter on Mexican
desert sheep hunting. Scarce. VG+. $ 200.00
108. Roosevelt, T.R. AFRICAN GAME TRAILS FIRST edition. 1910 One of the consistently most popular, widely read and
respected African big game hunting books. Lovely near fine copy in orig. brown gilt pictorial cloth. $ 900.00
a. another, Briar Patch trade ed. Fine. $ 175.00
b. another, Briar Patch LIMITED ED reprint. Only 500 copies bound in genuine leather, gilt stamped, all edges gilt and in slipcase.
Fine. $ 275.00
109. Ruark, Robert INSCRIBED THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY. FIRST edition! Book is near fine in like dj. Inscribed to someone
he obviously knew. Signed or inscribed Ruark books are rare. $ 1,500.00
110. Rutledge, A. FIREWORKS IN THE PEAFIELD CORNER 1986 NJ Amwell Press. Ltd to 1,000 signed, numbered slipcased
copies. 359 pp, ill. Upland game, waterfowl and wild turkey hunting. One of the scarcer and more desirable National Sporting
Fraternity sporting titles. Fine in like orig. slipcase. $ 350.00
111. Safari Club International RECORD BOOK OF TROPHY ANIMALS Various hardcovered editions as new. Closeout prices.
112. Sanchez-Ariño, Tony ELEPHANT HUNTERS MEN OF LEGEND 2004 CA 256 pp, ill. Bibliography. Large format. Ltd to 1,000
signed, numbered, slipcased copies. The Lado Enclave, the Last Frontier of Ivory Hunters, and men like Banks, Norton, Bell,
Salmon, Sutherland, Rundgren, Anderson, Buckley, Neumann, Foran etc. A popular Sanchez title. It sold out quickly remains
sought after. INSCRIBED by Sanchez to a well known firearms expert/author. Fine, fine slipcase. Great association copy.$ 375.00
a. another, fine in like slipcase. $ 275.00
Note: Tony thanks Christian LeNoel for many of his photos. LeNoel’s book HISTORY AND HUNTING IN CENTRAL AFRICA, also
a signed, numbered ltd ed, is still available, as is Robert Foran’s LEGENDS OF THE FIELD. Le Noel is one of 3 people thanked by
Sanchez for providing info about ivory hunters.
If you’re looking for great reading, all 3 of the above books are candidates.
113. Sanchez-Ariño Tony HUNTING IN SUDAN African Hunting Country Series. 484 pp, ill. Ltd to 1,000 signed, numbered
slipcased copies. A great overview on Sudan hunting. Bibliography. Fine in like slipcase. $ 250.00
Large format—extra postage.
114. Schaldach, W. FISH Collected etchings, drawings and watercolors of Trout, Salmon and other game fish. 1937 PA large
format. #240 of only 1560 numbered copies. Beautiful colored & bw illustrations. Fine in fair original box. $ 800.00
115. Scull, E. HUNTING IN THE ARCTIC AND ALASKA 1914 London first Engl. ed., bigger, thicker, larger and better illustrated
than the Amer ed. Tremendous photos of polar bear and walrus hunting. Fine North American hunting title and a fine copy in orig.
gilt pictorial cloth. $ 300.00
116. Seia, H. MUNDJAMBA The Elephant Mountain. 1995 CA Trophy Room Books limited edition (only 1,000 copies) about the
noted Angolan PH. 383 pp, 200 ill. The first third of the book is all about hunting in Angola (the best current information around) and
the balance is about Hugo’s hunting in Tanzania and Zambia. He is still a very active, respected PH. As new. A great reading book.
117. Selous, F.C. A HUNTER’S WANDERINGS IN AFRICA 1893 London Richard Bentley. Third ed. 8 vo. 455 pp. ill. One of the best,
most widely read, quoted and reprinted books. Only the first four editions of this book have the green cloth with three gold animal
heads on the cover. Almost near fine. A very nice early ed. with almost no wear. Early editions of this are scarce. $ 2,500.00
118. Selous, F.C. TRAVEL AND ADVENTURE IN SOUTH-EAST AFRICA 1967 Abercombie & Fitch reprint of first ed. Selous last 11
years on the Zambesi and its tributaries. 503 pp, ill, map. Top edge gilt. Selous last and some say one of his best books. Near fine
in like dj. $ 125.00
a. another, an AMAZING Associaiton copy with lengthy letter: First edition 1893. VG+ condition. Signed, dated, inscribed on half
title page by Selous to his dear friend Col. J C Russell. Russell’s bookplate inside front cover. With an entirely handwritten four
page letter to Russell from Selous (dated 1893) detailing Selous plans to cancel his American trip and sail to Matabeleland
because he considers it his “duty to lend a hand to his countrymen in Mashunaland at a time when every rifle may be necessary
to save the country from destruction.” An amazing letter and association copy. While Selous was acknowledged as a hunter, he
was also a solider and there is almost no surviving handwritten material regarding his military plans. Selous also writes that he
has signed the book in advance of publication and asked Rowland Ward to deliver it as soon as it was available. So this must also
be one of the very first copies printed. $ 6,500.00
119. Severin, T. THE AFRICAN ADVENTURE 1973 NY 288 pp. Profuse ill. 400 years of exploration in Africa. Explorers and hunters
accomplishments are all delineated in this well written book. Contains a superior bibliography. Fine in like dj. $ 50.00
120. Sheldon, W. EXPLORING FOR WILD SHEEP IN BRITISH COLUMBIA IN 1931 AND 1932. 1981 National Sporting Fraternity.
246 pp. Ill. Foreword by JOHN BATTEN. Frontis by RUNGIUS. Limited to 1,000 signed, numbered, slipcased copies. Second book
in the popular High Country Heritage series. Much on stone sheep areas of northwestern BC. Fine in like slipcase. $185.00
a. another, fine in lightly faded slipcase. $ 150.00
121. Sheldon, C. THE WILDERNESS OF DENALI Explorations of a Hunter Naturalist in Alaska. 1994 SC Premier Press reprint.
412 pp. Ill. All edges gilt. Spending many years and many more hours in pursuit of dall sheep. Fine gilt stamped orig. imit. Leather
binding. $ 100.00
122. Singh, N.K. JIM CORBETT: PORTRAIT OF AN ARTIST 1991 India 160 pp, ill. More than a biography, this book tries to show
that Corbett’s adventure stories are real literature, that he has a keen perception of both the animal and the natural environment
in which it survives. Singh looks at Corbett not only as an author of big game hunting books, but also as a first class artist. Scarce.
Better than vg in like dj. $ 75.00
123. Smiles, P. LAND OF THE BLACK BUFFALO 1961 London 184 pp. Ill. Bushmen, buffalo, lion & elephants. Lots of adventure
in this action packed book. Other than John Burger (author of Horned Death) we don’t know of anyone who hunted Cape buffalo
more than Smiles. Fine in vg+ jacket. $ 225.00
124. Smith, Wilbur ASSEGAI 2009 UK 1st ed. Wilbur Smith’s book on East Africa. This is the signed limited (only 1,500 copies)
slipcased edition issued ONLY to a limited number of customers and the edition sold out on the first day it appeared. Only a very
few of his books were ever done in this way and they are scarce. This copy is still in its original shrink wrap. Never opened. Mint.
We have other Smith first British (true firsts) in stock. Inquire for titles. $ 125.00
125. Somerset, S. THE LAND OF THE MUSKEG 1895 London 2nd ed. 248 pp, 110 ill. 4 maps. The author and his partner merely
desired to “shoot many things” in British Columbia. They didn’t shoot many but they sure had a great adventure. VG to vg+, wear
at spine tips, corners, and outside gutter. Very scarce. Value priced. $ 125.00
126. Stanley, H. MY KALULU 1891 NY 432 pp Ill. A story of Central Africa. Orig. deco cloth covers. Stanley’s wonderful fictional
work for children. Set in Tanzania. A beautiful, fine copy in the rare dust jacket but with two small (one inch) oval lib. Stamps on two
pages. The jacket on this title is rare. Scarce Stanley item. $ 200.00
127. Stanley, H. THE CONGO AND THE FOUNDING OF THE FREE STATE 1885 NY 2 vol: 528 & 483 pp. Hundreds of ill. Pull out
folding maps rear pockets of both volumes. Stanley’s Congo explorations. Scarcest of Stanley’s three major exploration titles. Near
fine. Stanley is very collectible and nice copies such as this are sought after. $ 1,500.00
128. Stanley, H. IN DARKEST AFRICA 1890 NY First ed. 2 volumes 547 & 540 pp. Profuse ill. 3 pull out folding maps in two rear
pocket packs. Stanley’s classic work on travel & exploration in Africa. A great book. A handsome set, Orig. endpapers. Hinges have
been repaired but the set is still better than vg+, in orig. green gilt and scene stamped pictorial covers. Value priced. Special 2 book
postage. $ 575.00
129. Stigand, C.H. HUNTING THE ELEPHANT IN AFRICA 1913 New York 378 pp. 1st Amer ed. Ill. With table showing measurements
of tusks and spoor. A sought after elephant hunting classic. Stigand ranks with Neumann, Bell & Sutherland in the annals of
hunting literature. Very popular, sought after hunting title. A cornerstone item for any collection. Almost VG+, recased with new
endpapers, very slight wear at top of spine. $ 800.00
a. another, Capstick reprint. Near fine in vg+ dj. $ 65.00
130. Trense, W. BIG GAME OF THE WORLD 1989 Germany 411 pp. Hundreds of b/w & col. ill and maps with excellent, informative
text in English. One of the finest references for the big game hunter of the past 16 years. Fine new in like dj. $ 200.00
131. Turnbull-Kemp, P. THE LEOPARD 1967 Cape Town 268 pp. True 1st ed. The author is a well known game ranger who spent
most of his life studying the leopard. It is considered one of the finest relatively recent books on the leopard’s habits and haunts.
Only a very small number of copies were ever issued. The book is very scarce in spite of relatively recent publication date. Near
fine in vg+ dj. $ 575.00
132. Valdez, R. THE WILD SHEEP OF THE WORLD 1982 NM 186 pp. First of four sheep hunting titles from the noted NM state
biologist. Trade ed. Well illustrated. Now considered a classic title for any sheep hunter or book collector. Intro by John Batten. Fine
in like dj. Inscribed by the author. $ 150.00
a. another, fine in like dj. $ 125.00
133. Varian, H. SOME AFRICAN MILESTONES 1953 Oxford FIRST ed. 272 pp. Ill. End paper maps. Foreword by E. Grogan. Author
opened up Angola hinterlands for the proposed railroads. Two African antelope are named after Varian: a species of giant sable
and a dik dik. VG. $ 90.00
134. Werling, T. JIM CORBETT MASTER OF THE JUNGLE 1998 CA 246 pp, ill, bibliography. A hunting biography of Jim Corbett,
placing the reader in Corbett’s shoes as he tracks man-eaters and other dangerous game in Indian jungles. As new in like dj.
135. Willoughby, J. EAST AFRICA AND ITS BIG GAME Briar Patch African collection 1990 reprint. 303 pp. Ill. All edges gilt.
Narrative of a sporting trip from Zanzibar to the borders of the Masai. One of the first books to explore big game hunting in this
region. First editions are now very scarce, expensive and sought after. Fine. $ 125.00
a. another, Briar Patch deluxe ltd ed reprint, only 500 copies bound in genuine spilt stamped leather. As new in slipcase. $ 175.00
b. another, Wolfe Publishing ltd ed reprint. Half leather, ell edges gilt. Foldout map in rear pocket. As new. $ 125.00
136. Wilson, R.L. THEODORE ROOSEVELT OUTDOORSMAN 1994 CA Trophy Room Books limited edition of 1,000 copies,
numbered, signed. 326 pp. Profuse ill. The book we reprinted & expanded. A popular book that seldom comes on the market. Fine
in like dj and with extra inscription from author to former owner. $ 225.00
137. Witter, G. A FUNNY THING HAPPENED AND A HUNT IN THE YUKON 1974 NY 92 pp. Ill. Colorful collection of accounts about
a once in a lifetime hunt in the Yukon with a unique Indian guide. Fine in fine jacket. Scarce. $ 225.00
138. Wong-Quincey, J. CHINESE HUNTER NY nd ca 1939 383 pp. Ill. Unique account of hunting big game and random thoughts
on hunting in China. Wong Quincey became the first Chinese to bag Ovis ammon darwini and Ovis ammon ammon. Terrific reading
Asian book and about the only one on Northern Chinese sheep hunting. VG+, inside flaps of dust jacket pasted inside rear cover.
From the library of noted book collector and former New Hampshire Governor, Walter Rutherford Peterson, his bookplate inside
front cover. $ 125.00
139. Wright, T. THE LIFE OF SIR RICHARD BURTON 1906 London - second ed. 2 vol, each 291 pp. Profuse ill. Bibliography.
Eminently readable biography of this noted explorer. Consistently popular, sought after and readable biography. Attractive, very
near fine set in orig. red cloth bindings. $ 750.00
140. York, W. OUT IN THE MIDDAY SHADE 2000 CA 287 pp, ill. Memories of an African Hunter 1949-1968. Hunting throughout
East Africa in her Golden Days. Signed, numbered, slipcased ltd ed of 1,000 copies. Fine in like slipcase. $ 75.00
a. another, fine in vg+ orig. slipcase. $ 50.00
NEW BOOKS FROM OTHER PUBLISHERS
201. Flack, Peter HUNTING THE SPIRAL HORNS—BUSHBUCK—the Little Big Buck. 2014 S. Africa Collectors' Edition of only
200 signed numbered slipcased copies. 350 pp, profuse color ill. Foreword by Lou Hallamore. The shy, elusive bushbuck is one
of Africa's most challenging trophies, especially for those who want a good trophy. Peter Flack is Africa's "most experienced hunter
who is not a professional" and it shows through in thorough research and knowledge imparted in his book. For the bushbuck
hunter, this contains everything you might want to know: from natural history and distribution to big game hunting. Peter even
makes the "how to hunt bushbuck" sections sprightly reading. There are quotes from old classic books and, as an experienced
hunter, Peter was able to elicit really good hunting stories from those going afield today. BUSHBUCK has everything a big game
hunter or book collector could want. Large format—extra postage. $175.00
202. Horn, Peter HUNTING ACROSS THE DANUBE 1914 NY 258 pp. Ill. This is the signed, numbered, LIMITED (only 200
copies) slipcased ed. Romania and Hungary are two of Europe's premier hunting destinations and Peter has been hunting there
for years. Probably close to 100 trips! No one is more qualified to write a book on hunting in this part of the globe—and it shows
in the great stories, written with enthusiasm and knowledge. $ 75.00
203. ONLY IN AFRICA by Tom Hammond 2012 MI Privately printed by the author. 416 pp, ill. LIMITED HARDBACK PRINTING.
Only Africa can provide hours and days of calmness and tranquility and then, in a flash with no warning, an encounter with death.
This is not a once in a lifetime surprise but a common occurrence in Africa. Its dangerous game—Cape buffalo, elephant, rhino,
lion, leopard and hippo have been hunted for centuries by the most adventurous hunters. If you ever had your life on the line
hunting, then you will identify. This is a book of stories about death defying occurrences experienced by the author while hunting
Africa’s dangerous game. Each year experienced hunters are killed while hunting. More are seriously injured. Tom Hammond
started hunting internationally in 1971. He has won awards from Safari Club International, the Conklin Foundation and the
Weatherby Foundation. It is ONLY IN AFRICA that these riveting stories of hunting dangerous game occurred. $55.00
204. de Lima, Jorge Alves ON THE TRACKS OF THE BIG FIVE IN ANGOLA 2013 NY 334 pp, hundreds of illustrations, privately
printed. Jorge Alves de Lima’s third book takes readers on a journey filled with adventure & sport during the second half of the 20th
century, telling the story of his years in Angola running the safari company, Kirongozi Angola, his return to Brazil where he hunted
the jaguar, and more. For over 40 years Jorge traveled through some of the world’s harshest landscapes, hunting everything from
elephants and rhinoceros to lion and jaguar. Jorge was the consummate adventurer. He describes his trips through the heart of
Africa and Brazil in pursuit of the most beautiful—and dangerous—animals on the planet. Life on the hunt was always a challenge,
and Jorge rose to the occasion. Firsthand accounts of his fellow hunters include Bill Negley, Hugo Seia, Tony Sanchez-Ariño,
Rubens Ribeiro Marx Junior, and Richard Mason. This book takes the reader on a safari resplendent with all of the trials and the
glory of hunting big game. Large format—extra postage. $90.00
205. Del Rosal, Jorge MY HUNTING 2011 FL 253 pp, an amazing 240 COLORED photographic ill. Very small edition, privately
printed. Jorge has been actively hunting for many years. Among his adventures: 7 elephant hunts, almost as many for lion and
leopard, numerous Cape buffalo hunts throughout Africa, hunting in too many African countries to list, plus jaguar & puma in South
America & Europe, Canada, Australia & the US. From the Foreword, “The words of the pages that lie ahead…are filled with
storytelling, nostalgia and humor.” Most of the book is about hunting big game in Africa. NEW in dj. $ 125.00
206. Denker, Kai-Uwe ALONG THE HUNTER’S PATH Thoughts and Experiences of a Professional Hunter. 2006 Namibia 506
pp, profuse color ill. Denker, one of Africa’s most respected active PHs, was born in Namibia and grew up hunting—both for himself
in Namibia, Mozambique, Cameroon and Tanzania and with clients. Denker was the first hunter allowed into East-Kavango
(Bushmanland) in 1993 and through his pioneering efforts, that relatively unknown part of Africa has recently yielded some great
hunting trophies. Denker hunted the big five, plus bongo, greater & lesser kudu etc. The middle section is entirely on hunting
elephant. Whether you are a hunter or a book collector, or both ALONG THE HUNTER’S PATH should be required reading.
207. Rikhoff, J., Editor HUNTING THE AFRICAN BUFFALO AND LION 2008 NJ 614 pp, line drawings by Guy Coheleach.
Originally issued in two separate limited editions, this trade release about hunting two of Africa’s greatest game animals combines
the best of both books and adds new chapters by well known and more recent professional hunters. You don’t get engaged to a
Cape buffalo, you get married to him for life—his or yours! And the African lion, a hunter itself, does not respond well to threats. So
when it comes you must make up your mind and clear out for it covers 100 yards in half the time of an Olympic runner. Some
animals may be considered more dangerous or beautiful—but few are more exciting. When you’re dealing with the likes of Selous,
Roosevelt, Millais, Foran, Stigand, Patterson, Madeira, Seia, Hallamore, de Lima and Coheleach, you have great reading.
208. Grant, Wayne INTO THE THORNS Hunting the Cattle-killing Leopard of the Matobo Hills. 2007 Zimbabwe. 569 pp, profuse
color ill. This book was published by African Hunter magazine—they really know their stuff—and so does the author, PH Wayne
Grant, who has many awards, including Professional Hunter of the year. He has plenty of dangerous game experience. If you’re
seeking a really good book about leopard hunting, there is plenty of leopard hunting here. It is well written and produced and a
book we enjoyed reading and are proud to recommend. Thick, heavy book. Special postage: Large format—extra postage.
Please note: we have a thousand titles (or more) in stock. Let us know if you seek something special. Please Contact Us with any special requests you might have.